Mysimba is one of the few prescription weight-loss medications. It has two active ingredients: 7.2 mg of naltrexone and 78 mg of bupropion.
B propion is classified as a selective norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor. It is a medication that is used to treat depression and nicotinism. N- altrexone, on the other hand, is an opioid inverse agonist and a codeine analogue. It's used to treat alcoholism and opioid addiction. Neither substance is addictive.
How does bupropion plus naltrexone work?
The precise mechanism by which b-propion and naltrexone work in the treatment of obesity is unknown, but scientists believe the active ingredients in the medicine affect the parts of the brain that control appetite and the pleasure of eating. As a result, the person taking the drug has a decreased appetite and does not require as much food as before. Furthermore, the drug accelerates metabolism.
Bupropion + naltrexone for weight loss - indications
The indication for the use of a drug containing b- upropion and naltrexone is weight control in adults who:
- are obese (BMI: 30 or more) or
- are overweight (BMI between 27 and 30) and have weight-related complications such as diabetes, dyslipidemia or high blood pressure.
The drug supports slimming and should be used in conjunction with a proper diet (reduced in calories) and regular physical activity .
Bupropion + naltrexone for weight loss - dosage
The slimming drug should be taken during or immediately before a meal, swallowing the tablet whole and drinking water. The recommended dosage is:
- 1st week of treatment: 1 tablet in the morning,
- 2nd treatment week: 1 tablet in the morning and 1 tablet in the evening,
- Treatment week 3: 2 tablets in the morning and 1 tablet in the evening,
- from the 4th week of treatment: 2 tablets in the morning and 2 tablets in the evening.
The maximum dose of the drug is 4 tablets a day.
The effectiveness of Mysimba. How Much Can You Lose Weight?
The efficacy of bupropion/naltrexone has been studied in four major studies involving approximately 4,500 obese or overweight people. 13-22% of Mysimba users lost at least 10% of their body weight. The average weight loss in the three studies ranged from 3.7 to 5.7%. After 16 weeks of treatment, the effectiveness of the treatment should be confirmed. If the body weight has not decreased by at least 5% after this time, the drug should be stopped.
Possible side effects of bupropion + naltrexone are:
- dry mouth,
- increased sweating,
- reduced concentration,
- decreased appetite,
- increase in blood pressure,
- Allergic reaction,
- insomnia, anxiety.
The preparation also contains bupropion, which is an antidepressant. According to studies, it may increase the risk of suicide in people under the age of 25 who have mental disorders. Although no suicides were reported during the studies, post-marketing observations revealed an increased rate of suicidal behavior (including suicidal ideation) in bupropion/naltrexone users regardless of age. Bupropion and naltrexone can cause dizziness, which can impair driving.
Bupropion + naltrexone for weight loss - contraindications
Although most adults can safely take bupropion + naltrexone, there are contraindications to its use:
- age under 18,
- age over 75,
- pregnancy and trying for a baby,
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug,
- uncontrolled high blood pressure,
- a brain tumor,
- severe liver problems,
- severe kidney problems,
- the period immediately after stopping alcohol in an addicted person,
- period immediately after discontinuation of benzodiazepines,
- bipolar disorder,
- taking bupropion or naltrexone for an indication other than weight loss,
- bulimia nervosa or anorexia nervosa - now or in the past
- addiction to opioids or opioid receptor agonists (e.g. methadone),
- taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).
Bupropion + naltrexone for weight loss - when does it start to work?
After a few weeks, the first effects of treatment should be noticeable. Mysimba is considered effective if you lose at least 5% of your body weight in 16 weeks. It will not work for everyone, and not everyone who uses it will lose weight. Then consider other forms of treatment, such as slimming injections.